Marble floors can elevate the aesthetics of your home on so many levels. It can add character, shine, and bling factor. A simple home setup can look a million dollars when you add marble flooring.
Marble tiles have been the material of choice for the lavish and the rich since the ancient times. And we can understand why. Marble gives out an elegant shine and luxurious feel. It spruces up a room and brings it to life.
Marble is one of the most popular flooring materials of all time. However, let’s take a closer look and discuss the pros and cons of using marble for your flooring. This way, you will get to understand and decide if marble is the best option for you.
The Pros Of Marble
- Marble comes in a wide range of clours, designs, and patterns that will look stunning on your floors.
- It has an elegant finish that will make your floor stand out.
- Marble is a natural stone so no patterns are alike. You marble tiles will be uniquely yours, unlike synthetic, manufactured flooring.
- It radiates when exposed to sunlight as well as other forms of lighting. It gives out a more dramatic, more radiant vibe with good lighting.
- Marble is an excellent insulator. It keeps a cool temperature even during hot weather while it stays warm during cold weather.
- It gives a soft, natural look, not hardened like granite.
- Marble tile cleaning is very easy if properly maintained.
- It is resistant to fire, unlike wood, so it is a safer option for you and your family.
- It is extremely durable and lasts a long time.
- It can withstand external pressure, heavy load, and sudden changes in weight. So aside from residential use, it is also perfect for restaurant and hotel flooring, and other commercial establishments that have heavy traffic.
- Because it is a natural stone, it is environment friendly. No chemicals are used in the process of mining and cutting the marble tiles.
- It can be cut and shaped easily and the edges can be moulded as it is a soft stone.
- It is hardwearing and resistant to shattering. Marble does not crack or shatter easily even when heavy objects get dropped on the flooring. So, you save time and money on replacements and repairs.
- Marble is very versatile. You can use it in any room you like.
- Marble is very affordable. It may look luxurious but it will not put a hole on your budget.
There is so much good we can say about marble flooring. If you ask around, you will know that it is quite a popular option.
The Cons Of Marble
- Because it is a natural stone, the patterns are natural too. The patterns are hard to match sometimes and if not skillfully installed, it can lose its grandeur.
- Because it can retain temperature, it can get very cold in winter.
- It reacts easily with acid. You have to be careful with spills because it can stain or can get holes in it because of its porous nature.
- It is susceptible to scratches from hard and sharp objects due to its soft natural components.
- Installation takes time because installers need to match the natural vein patterns to make it look cohesive and elegant.
- Marble requires proper care and regular maintenance to keep its shine. It must be polished periodically and in some cases, you may need a stone restoration service if your marble floors have suffered too much wear and tear.
- Due to its iron content, marble can turn yellowish over time. This is why some tiles look aged and tired. It can lose its beauty over time. It can be remedied though.
- Marble floors are slippery especially when wet. It can be dangerous especially with young children and elderly people around.
- It is hard to replace a damaged marble tile because of its natural formation. No tile is alike. So you will have a hard time finding a replacement that has a pattern close to the original, as well as colour and design. You might need to buy more than what is need during installation so you have spare tiles on hand in case you need to replace a few broken tiles in the future.
Avoid spilling tea, wine, juices, sauces, curry, and household items with a high acidity rate. It can cause holes, stains and other damage. Wipe spills up right away. Keep your marble floor clean and dry at all times. Polish regularly to maintain its shine.
Are your marble tiles looking tired and has lost its shine? Don’t throw them out yet, let SLIQUE do its magic. We can bring your marble tiles back to life.
For all your marble floor maintenance and polishing needs, please call SLIQUE today on 02 9648 0395, or you can leave an inquiry on our contact page.